Taking Food and Drinks Outside
We’ve all heard tales of mayonnaise-laced dishes becoming foodborne illness factories in warm weather. But its actually fairly easy to keep food safe; the key is to keep food cold and contained.
Here are some suggestions on how to achieve this:
- Make sure all prepared foods have been thoroughly chilled before you pack them.
- Wrap plastic containers in foil or plastic wrap to prevent spills.
- Keep all your perishables in the fridge until the last minute, then immediately ice them in your cooler.
- Arrange food and ice in layers to keep foods equally cold; Don’t rest the food on top of the ice or nestle it underneath.
- Don’t under pack your cooler. A fully packed cooler stays colder than a half empty one
- Wrap sandwiches in plastic wrap to keep them from getting mushy, then put them in a resealable plastic bag.